With Windows 10 version 1903, aka may 2019 update Microsoft introduced the Windows sandbox an isolated, temporary, desktop environment where users can run untrusted software without the fear of lasting impact to the system. No doubt this is an excellent feature available for Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users to allow to test untrusted programs in another virtual Windows 10 PC. You can enable Windows sandbox feature following steps here, But a recent bug causing Windows Sandbox failed to start, Error 0xc0370106.
Number of users report while try to start the windows sand box form start menu search it fails to start with error 0x80072746, 0xc0370106, 0x80070015, 0x803b002a and 0x80070002.
For someother users the error is different like
Windows Sandbox failed to start with “ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (0x80070002).
Windows sandbox error 0xc0370106
A number of users report this issue on Microsoft, Reddit forum and also Microsoft has confirmed the sandbox error and they are working on a fix. Well, This error mostly caused due to the supporting virtualization components encountering some issues. here we have few solutions help to fix Windows Sandbox failed to start, Error 0xc0370106, on windows 10 version 1903.
Run the Windows Sandbox as an administrator
The first solution run the application as administrator, a number of users report it worked for them in similar situations.
- Scroll down to the Windows Sandbox entry in the Start menu.
- Right-click and select More > Run as administrator.
- Select Yes for the UAC command prompt or user account control you receive,
- And the Windows Sandbox will work correctly on your computer.
Install all pending Windows updates
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with several bug fixes, may the latest update contain the bug fix for Windows sandbox error 0xc0370106.
- Open Windows Settings app using Windows + I keyboard shortcut,
- Click on update and security than windows update,
- Click the Check for Updates button to get all pending updates from Microsoft.
- And restart windows to apply the changes, and now open sandbox if there is no more error.
Note 29/08/2019 : Microsoft has released cumulative update KB4512941 (OS Build 18362.329) that contains the following fix.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent the Windows Sandbox from starting with the error, “ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND (0x80070002).” This occurs on devices in which the operating system language is changed during the update process when installing Windows 10, version 1903.
Ensure that all support processes are working
Windows services play an important role to work any windows feature include Windows sandbox. Check and make sure the required services to run Windows sandbox and its depending services are running state.
Below services must be on running state to run Windows sandbox normally.
- Network virtualization service.
- Virtual hard disk.
- Hyper – V Virtual Machine.
- Hyper – V Host Computer Service.
- Container management services.
Also you can start, restart these services form windows service console following steps below.
- Press Windows + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows services console,
- Scroll down to locate network virtualization service,
- Right click and start/restart the service,
- Do the same process with other services.
- Now again try to open Windows sandbox as administrator.
Disable and enable windows sandbox feature
Reinstall the windows sandbox feature probably help to fix with.
Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and ok
This will open programs and features window
- In the left pane, click on Turn Windows features On or Off.
- Locate Windows Sandbox, uncheck it, and reboot the machine.
- Once the machine restarts, again open programs and features window
- Navigate to Turn Windows features On or Off,
- locate Windows Sandbox, enable it and click apply ok
- Restart windows after complete the installation and check if this helps.
Also, try to uninstall recent kb update and check sandbox working properly. If yes pause windows updates for 35 days. Microsoft already aware of this issue and bug fix for sandbox error coming on upcoming cumulative updates.
- Windows 10 version 1903, aka May 2019 Update New Features
- Your DNS Server Might Be Unavailable In Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- How to fix The RPC server is unavailable (0x800706ba) windows 10
- Fix DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN chrome error on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- How to fix Google Chrome not opening in windows 10, 8.1 and 7